Design of a speed controller for BattleBots
- Basic problem: turn low-current oddly-shaped servo pulses into high-current wheel speeds
- What is an H-bridge?
- Switching high currents
- PIC intro and features
- Joystick positions from receiver pulses
- Wheel speeds from joystick positions
- PWM from wheel speeds
- Relay switching time
- Extra: Different speed curves
- Extra: LEDs
- Extra: PIC 12C508 as on/off switch
- Extra: FET driver
These are slides I used in a presentation to the Homebrew Robotics Club
of Silicon Valley on October 25, 2000. I drew the pictures in by
hand afterwards, so these slides lack pictures. And they are just
outlines of what I was talking about. Apologies if you don't find
them terribly informative, but since I did them in HTML I figured
I might as well make them available.
This page works best with Lynx.
or go home.